Carolyn's Introduction

This loving tribute to Tarot as Muse is a fundraiser for Ink People Center for the Arts, conceived by Kathryne DeLorme, Carolyn Ayres and Libby Maynard. The twenty-two images seen here have been made into a collectible Major Arcana Tarot Deck which can purchased online with Ink People or found at the following venues in Humboldt County. In Eureka, Humboldt Herbals at 300 2nd Street and the Sewell Gallery of Fine Arts at 423 F street. In Arcata, the Global Village Gallery at 973 H Street; Hair Unlimited at 1640 G Street and New World Water at 778 18th street The original art was exhibited July 7th, 2012 at the new Ink Annex, 47B West Third Street, Eureka, California.
For more information contact Carolyn Ayres at tarotofbecoming @yahoo.com

Monday, May 14, 2012

15. The Devil


The Devil can be seen as our illusion of limitation, the ego at it’s most dominant when we are chained to societal mores and our own fear of breaking out and following our desires.  It’s about our love of the material and though there is nothing wrong with enjoying all the food, distractions and stuff, at this point of the journey, these distractions are holding us back from the liberation we seek, the freedom to be ourselves. It’s important at this point to not take ourselves too seriously, enjoy it all but also know this is not our true reality.

Key Words: the Shadow/ Dweller on the Threshold/ Hedonism / Ego inflation / Addiction / Inertia / Materialism /Oppression/ Untapped creativity


Connie Rose                 The Devil 
 
“The Devil card chose me at a time last summer when the accumulated stress of 40 years of living on the edge emotionally and financially finally hit critical mass.  Although energy and action toward a major personal shift had been building for five or six years, now I could finally let go of my reliance on the workworld, society and our culture of materialism in an attempt to meet my spiritual survival needs.  I had sold my soul for too long and my body started to break down. 

The Devil pointed out to me that the choice to live the life I really wanted to live was mine alone and that I had the power to do it.  The alternatives were allowing myself to remain inured to the allure of modern culture, or being willing to let it all go to the largest extent possible so I could take care of my soul.  I clearly saw my personal journey portrayed in the Devil card. 

My interpretation of the card is that the forces of evil -- our personal dark side, the dark side of society and civilization, materialism, overindulgence, dark political powers, etc. – are below us, and we have the choice to rise above them.  There are mountains to climb on every soul journey – it takes great courage to stand outside the dominant paradigm while living within it.  Yet the rewards are to be able to see life as the spiritual adventure it really is and to live it freely.”

No comments:

Post a Comment